Thursday, June 28, 2012

How to Juggle Full Time Work and Full Time School

How to Juggle Full Time Work and Full Time School
This upcoming semester is going to make me pull my hair out, I can already tell. I just started a really great full time job that I love. When registration time came around I decided to just sign up for night classes, and with the grant that I have I am required to take at least 12 credit hours, so this next semester I will be working full time and going to school full time. I'll be honest, I am a little worried. I am not the best student to begin with, and I do not operate very well on little sleep. So what's a girl to do? How am I going to handle this? Well, I did some research and found some great advice, here it is. 

So many of the places that I researched through mentioned online school courses and it really does make sense. With online courses you have the freedom to take classes when you are available too. You can still work full time, and you can still get the sleep that you need. I have several friends that have children and jobs that are taking courses online. Online courses are allowing adults to separate their time between work, school and kids. If you're like me, and are struggling with the thought of working full time and going to school full time this may be a great option for you. (I'm considering it) You can also take a combination of campus classes and online classes which would work great for majors like mine (fine art) that require you to take some hands on courses. 

There simply isn't going to be enough time to go around so you've got to really sit down and get your priorities in order. Write down all of your responsibilities, and make yourself a schedule for the week that you MUST stick to. In other words, procrastination is not an option. Decide what you can take on and what you can't and if it just isn't possible to do both work and school, you may have to work less, or take less classes if you can. Don't overwork yourself. Cut out the distractions. And buckle up it's going to be a bumpy ride!

Balancing work and play is important. If you work, work, work, you will easily get burnt out and your grades will suffer. Take time for yourself once in a while. Do something fun on the weekends, go to a movie or a concert (or a date) or if all else fails, take a nap! It is important to work hard, but don't lose yourself in the process, it is important to take care of yourself and have fun!

Well, I will certainly be taking this advice to heart; I sure hope some of it works for me. Most importantly I think as long as you remember that you are working toward your dream you will be ok, and so will I ... hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment